Summer 2020 is all about pivoting our plans. You may still be trying to think of some safer alternatives or new vacation ideas, and because of this many families are opting for renting vacation homes.
Some of our favorite locations are below, but first check out these tips & tricks:
1. Know before you go. Check state CDC guidelines for Covid-19 regulations and quarantine measures.
2. Double check cancellation policy.
3. Contact the host with any questions. Is the AC working? Is the pool working? Make sure to ask for any and ALL updates on the house. This may seem like a no-brainer, but you never know!
4. Check the actual Address. Check a map app or real estate site for the exact address of the house. Since not all properties include the actual address ask for it and map out the location. Make sure "just minutes" from the beach is exactly that! And while you are looking up the house on Realtor.com, (or other real estate sites) zoom in on the property, then switch to satellite view to see another photo and details of the property.
5. Review the property as soon as you arrive–let the realtor or owner know of any damages or questions upon arriving, take photos.
6. Make SURE host is willing to give you their cell phone number for your stay for questions/ emergencies.
Summer rentals are currently a great alternative to hotels. They are less crowded and you can bring your own linens, silverware, etc. (if you want!) to make you feel comfortable. There is also no need to worry about restaurants and social distancing if you want to order take-out at your summer house. Here are some great ideas for where to vacation, where to look and some tips and tricks about renting.
The Berkshires, MA
The Berkshires are usually a great place to go for music and theatre during the summer months but still a great place to visit and enjoy year-round.
The Catskills, NY
** A good idea is to always try and rent from a local realtor that knows the area very well. For recommendations for local realtors you can check with the local chamber of commerce or check out Realtor.com **
Best Vacation Sites to Choose From:
Rental Search Engines: